Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sleep Deprivation Photo Drop.

Long Beach, CA- the place where we get to break our work fast.  After two loooooong days of crane lifts, bunker barge tie-ups and let goes, ship's stores, engine stores, slop chest stores, ABS inspections, lifeboat tests, windlass repairs, anchor brake tests, et cetera and so on, ad infinitum, I am officially ready to get underway so I can get some rest.  

I am on standby for vendor crane lifts and I can't really get too comfortable until after 2000, when they're required to give me a 30 minute call-out.  I'm procrastinating filling out a lodging complaint (hammering on the house at midnight woke everyone up) and waiting for calls from family on the east coast.  I'm quite tired... after being woken from the deepest of slumbers last night, I couldn't fall back asleep until around 0530.

We have an almost entirely new crew (not new as in inexperienced- new as in swapped out for the other guys that do this boat for a living) and I'm liking the new crew a lot.  CM seems good, bosun seems good, engineers all seem good... despite the high turn-over I have a good feeling about this trip.  The last one wasn't bad, but it felt... odd, somehow.  Silent and polite, but underlaid with angst.  

Last night I went to Whole Foods and picked up 24 bottles of kombucha- very stoked!  And cereal and half-and-half.  Then the cadet and I ate sushi to the point of refusal- really tasty stuff at a place called "Koi" south of Long Beach.

OK... too tired to elaborate.  Here, look at pictures instead:

Sunset over an empty ship.

Coming into port.

Underway making way.

Dog humor.

More dog humor.

The water churned by her screw.

The perspective of scale.

New reefer van on a lashed box.

My travel companions with coral pieces I picked up for Laura in Guam.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the mix of text and pics. And I'm looking forward to "the rest of the story" on the sea rescue.
    Momster

    ReplyDelete