Saturday, July 5, 2014

Kickin' it on the beach...

So, I am just wandering around Honolulu waiting for Monday to get here- there really isn't anything else to do but try and find ways of not spending money.  Or at least get my money's worth...

Just monkeying around...

Manoa Falls

Plant life from an alien planet....

Just a random pond in a random place full of random Koi that my phone
randomly decided to "enhance," "filter," and "frame...."

The masts referenced a couple days ago- this is the "Falls of Clyde," a beautiful
old girl that is being hauled, soon.  It is next to the Honolulu Maritime museum,
which is (sadly) closed, waiting for benefactors to step forward with money.

Fern.

Flower.

Jungle Fowl.

View from the site of a great battle between rival islanders in the years of yore...
My Hawaiian is pathetic- I can't enunciate or remember a single word beyond
"Aloha" and "Mahalo."  Needless to say, the place has a name and I don't know it.



I was so tempted to do the cliff dives, here...

I did, however, go for a swim here and these big ol' girls were everywhere in the water- Turtle Beach, Oahu.

Note the radio transponder on the shell of the turtle to the right.

4th of July fireworks as seen from Fisherman's Wharf.  Great show!  Front row!

This was taken while on the phone with my sister- right over the rail where
the "Falls of Clyde" is docked.  I so want to go in....

Totally different biome than the jungles visible
across the valley- grows in the desert of
Diamond Head's crater.

View from Diamond Head.

Panorama of the inside of the Diamond Head crater.

Banyan tree- originally given as a gift to the king and queen of Hawaii, the tree
has become invasive (or, as the new breed of archaeologists and historians
prefer to see it, as "indicative of the homogenization caused by the Columbian
Exchange").  I think someone just needs to figure out an industrial use for it....
That usually guarantees its species-wide demise.

So... must find a place to store my goods while I go swimming.  Then find some sushi.  

Aloha!

1 comment: