Thursday, July 3, 2014

Booyah!

So I threw down my card this morning and got a watchstander job aboard the "Matson Manukai," a 217 meter, 32.5 thousand gross rated tonnes, 3000 TEU container ship built in 2003.  Voyage duration unknown.  Destinations: West Coast USA to East Coast China, and all ports in between.

Only one other B-card sailor competed against me, but his registration was June, mine was April 27th... he left the hall with a disgusted look on his face... clearly he was expecting to get that job- expecting it with a new card, at that, indicating there is little competition here... this IS the place to be right now!  Me?  I'm gonna drive that ship, yo.  Like a boss.  With a chocolate-eating grin (oh yes I did!).

I, too, have sat in the hall, waiting day after day, and watched as a perfect job posted and then suddenly someone I've never seen before swoops in out of nowhere to snatches the job right out of my fingers.  I've been planning and preparing for this ship since after the shipyard, last year.  That other B-card sailor's ruffled feathers will not rob me of any sleep, whatsoever.

Smaller than the APL Polk by about 58 meters, the Manukai is still a real,
ocean-crossing ship.  The contract is similar, so I won't have as much to learn
straight out of the gate, either.

Immediately I was sent to the physician to get a "fit for duty," which was swiftly established.  And now?  The long wait until Monday.  In the meantime I've booked a funky tour with an outfit called Hiking Hawaii for tomorrow... snorkelling, swimming with sea turtles, hiking to waterfalls- sounds perfectly distracting!

My boat with boxes.

2 comments: