Thursday, December 20, 2012

N. Atlantic

6-12 meter seas (has died down a hair today) and 50 knot winds... oh my!
Wave disabled the forward radar last night during my watch. Aaaaand... you
can watch the ship twist and wrack if you look forward in the tunnels.

It's supposed to be worse tomorrow, and the day after that we should hit the
Laborador Current and the real cold will begin.

Yesterday I painted dogs on watertight doors to the forecastle and paint
locker- a bucket of paint in one hand, a paintbrush in the other, and damn
near weightlessness as the bow fell 60 feet at a time, crashed into a swell
with a start, then gravity kicked back in as I swung skyward... the Bosun
stood by joking around as I staggered and made an unholy mess. Highly
amusing moment.

I called Laura on the sat phone for her birthday- NOT ideal, for sure... if
all works well I will get to visit her at one port or another on the east
coast. Apparently there is a longshoreman strike getting started so all is
up in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment