Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Columbo City, Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka has been in a civil war for the last 30 years and Columbo City still has heavily armed military personnel and the pall of destruction everywhere you look.  In spite of it, I really enjoyed the city- the poverty wasn't overwhelming, the people were helpful (if not happy), and there is construction all around.  The only western business I saw was a Western Union, and prices for everything were rock bottom.  For 3 of us at the finest restaurant in the city the finest meal cost us $40- which the AB's refused to let the Ordinary pay for.  Or the taxi, for that matter.  Peaches Warrior Princess and the Wrestler gave me the lay of the land so next time I can explore more than the 1 hour that I did manage to check out (while they got massages).  I had the driver take me to the Buddhist Monastery and it was pretty damned amazing:

Very big Buddha... probably 20' high, which gives you an idea of the size of those elephant tusks.

Close up detail to the right of the Buddha (above).

Arch detail in the room with Buddha.
Buddhas from around the world gifted to this monastery. 

Details like this are everywhere you look.  This one has boobies!

The Buddha fasted beneath the boa tree for six months before he became the Buddha.

Chinese Buddhas gifted to the monastery.

Nope.  Too stupid to get video so you could hear it.  My bad.
And of course, an outrigged canoe at the British Hotel where the food was quite tasty.



No comments:

Post a Comment