Friday, November 2, 2012

Eastward Ho.

Currently at 39d00.046'N 020d32.046'W, estimated to arrive at the Straits of
Gibraltar at approximately 1800 tomorrow... when I did my calculations we
were 753 nm away, turning 17.7 knots... 42.5 hours. The midnight watch is a
great time to practice stuff like finding compass variation when you know
true north and the ship's deviation for the current heading. There are two
different aids to memory for remembering that particular math formula: "T.V.
Makes Dull Children" and "True Virgins Make Dull Company." Pick one the one
you like and stick to it.

Chief Mate gave me some of his secret Seattle coffee stash today- we were
talking about how much we like the Ballard farmer's market and to what
extent we miss the superior food of the Pacific Northwest to that of our
current dining experiences here upon the island of misfit toys. That guy is
definitely invited out to go sailing. Real, high-grade, caffeine rich, full
bodied, balanced tannins... it was the first time the fog has cleared since
I left Seattle. I couldn't feel my lips. And to think I'd been
contemplating quitting...

Needle-gun work all day on the giant dockline winches. I'm getting the
technique down so that I don't have to spend 2 hours washing up after
working with the pneumatic rust-removal "hammers" (which includes flushing
the sinuses and ears).

And my watch partner, the Academy Kid (featured at length in my last rant),
has been fine to work with the last two watches. Go figure. Pack a bridge
with dynamite and then the guy won't cross it... we were actually civil. I
think I've turned a corner. Yes, I am being facetious- tomorrow someone
will receive hatred and another someone else will receive admiration-
probably equally undeserved...

1 comment: